Great Start to Quality uses the Program Quality Assessment (PQA) tool for on-site assessments. The tool used for the program will be at least one of the following:
From the HighScope Educational Research Foundation:
- The Infant-Toddler PQA
- The Preschool PQA
- The Family Child Care PQA
From the Weikart Center for Youth Program Development:
- The School-Age PQA with Extended Observation Scales
How to Prepare:
The best way to prepare for an on-site assessment is to look at the PQA before the observation. All levels in each row show the indicators and examples. To get a copy of a PQA:
- Contact the local Great Start to Quality Resource Center to check out a copy from the Lending Library
- Contact HighScope to buy a copy of the Family Child Care PQA, Infant-Toddler PQA, and/or Preschool PQA
- Download the School-Age PQA from the David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality
If the program receives a 4 or 5 Star validation, it will be required to have an on-site assessment before receiving a published rating.
On-site Assessment Includes:
- A member of the Assessment Team will contact the program to gather information and answer any questions.
- The on-site assessment is unannounced during a scheduled window of time. The goal is to complete the assessment during a typical day at the program. The program has the chance to give a small number of dates that may not be a typical day (i.e. field trip days).
- If the program is not able to or chooses not to have the on-site assessment completed at that time, it will be eligible to receive a 3 Star until it is ready to complete the process.
- After the on-site assessment is complete, the program will receive results from a Quality Improvement Consultant from your local Great Start to Quality Resource Center.
What to Expect
On-Site Assessment Guidance Document
The On-Site Assessment Guidance Document prepares programs for the on-site assessment of Great Start to Quality and assists with understanding results and answering any questions about the assessment process.
On-site Assessment Support Documents
Wondering about your program and the on-site assessment? The following documents are designed to help support providers and educators reflect on program practices while preparing for the on-site assessment or while working on the Quality Improvement Plan (QIP).