Finding and choosing the child care or preschool setting that is right for your child and family can be challenging. Great Start to Quality makes your search for child care and preschool easier, giving you the power to make an informed decision and the confidence of knowing you chose the care that best suits your family’s needs.
Before you start your child care and preschool search, we encourage you to use the information in the booklet from Child Care Aware®, Is This The Right Place For My Child? It provides information on what to look for when searching for child care and preschool to support your child’s growth and development. You will also find a helpful checklist that can be taken with you when visiting programs and providers.
You have different options for child care and preschool:
- Child Care and Preschool Centers
- A licensed center-based setting usually with multiple classrooms, including child care, preschool, Early Head Start, Head Start and Great Start Readiness Programs.
- Family Child Care Homes
- A registered home-based setting for up to 6 children.
- Group Child Care Homes
- A licensed home-based setting for up to 12 children.
Start Your Search
Great Start to Quality allows you to search all licensed and registered providers in Michigan. You can search in the ways that are most important to you, whether it is by area, cost or specific needs.
When searching, you may want to consider:
- The type of licensed and registered child care and preschool that will best fit the needs of your child and family.
- The times and days you will need child care or preschool.
- How much you can afford to spend per week.
- If you receive child care payments from the state, whether the program or provider will accept them.
- Whether you need transportation to and from child care or preschool.
- The location of the program or provider.
While looking for the best child care or preschool for your child and your family, it is recommended that you visit more than one program with your child if possible.