The Great Start to Quality Northwest Resource Center serves Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Manistee, Leelanau, Missaukee, and Wexford counties in northwest lower Michigan. The Resource Center helps providers find training and support for professional development and quality improvement, helps families find child care and preschool, and helps businesses develop ways to support employees’ access to child care.
The Resource Center team is embedded across the ten-county service area to provide local training and technical assistance, lead learning communities and provider study groups, and facilitate distribution of supplies and Lending Library items. Training and technical assistance, learning communities, and study groups are available through virtual, in-person (if permitted) and hybrid platforms. Most trainings are offered free of charge unless otherwise noted.
Resource Center Services Include:
- Professional Development for all child care/preschool providers; most trainings are open to parents
- A Lending Library that offers themed bins, curriculum, administrative books, child development materials, DVDs, gross motor items, assessment tools, and more, for use by providers and parents; there is no cost to borrow Lending Library items and suggestions for new items are welcomed
- Support from Quality Improvement Specialists (QIS) to help programs navigate Great Start to Quality
- On-site, individual consultation with a Quality Improvement Consultant (QIC) for home- and center-based programs working on a quality improvement plan
- Professional learning communities for those who serve Infants and Toddlers
- Great Start to Quality Orientation for license-exempt providers
- Support for families searching for child care and preschool options
Northwest Resource Center Staff
|Mary Manner, Co-Director |
|Kristin Witt, Co-Director|
|Heather Bardenhagen, QIS/QIC IT Specialist (Grand Traverse & Leelanau)|
Child Care Center Administration trainer
|Terri Bauman, QIS (Benzie & Manistee)|
|Susan Chowen, QIC (Charlevoix, Emmet & Antrim)|
|Rebecca Herbst, QIS/QIC (Wexford & Missaukee)|
|Jessica Kieng, QIS/Admin Support (Grand Traverse & Kalkaska)|
Community Partners & Resources
We work with many people and organizations in the community to provide you, your family and your program with the resources you need to help your family and children succeed.
There are professional development trainings available throughout the state. You can search for a training near you or about a specific subject through MiRegistry.
If you have additional questions or need help, please do not hesitate to contact us.
1209 S. Garfield Suite C
Traverse City, MI 49686
877-614-7328 (toll free)