The Child Care Stabilization Grant application closes Thursday, May 26.

License Exempt Providers

Father, mother, and two children lean over kitchen island and make a sandwich together

License Exempt Providers

What is a License Exempt Provider?

Adult using blocks with child.

Finding appropriate child care can be difficult for families. Especially when they have special circumstances such as needing non-traditional care hours. License Exempt Providers can help address many of these difficulties. Providers are adults who care for children in either their home (family related providers) or in the child’s home (unrelated providers).

Providers are required to complete a one-time Great Start to Quality Orientation training and an annual Health and Safety refresher course registered through MiRegistry.

Help paying for care

For many families, the cost of safe, quality child care can affect the family budget. The Child Development and Care (CDC) Program, through the Michigan Department of Education-Office of Great Start, may offer payment assistance for child care services for families when the parent is not able to provide child care because of:

– Employment or Self-Employment

Approved Activity
– College or university undergraduate education up to a bachelor’s degree, including online programs (Does not include graduate, medical, or law school)
– Employment preparation or training

High School Completion
– General education development (GED)
– Adult Basic Education (ABE)
– English as a Second Language (ESL)

Family Preservation
– Participating in an approved counseling or treatment program for a physical, emotional, or mental condition

Do I qualify?

More families now qualify for free or low-cost child care for children up to age 12. To participate in the Child Development and Care (CDC) program, you must: ​

1. Have a qualifying need for child care. This includes: ​

Adult smiling while writing on piece of paper in front of computer at desk
  • Working
  • Taking college classes
  • Finishing a high school program like GED, ESL, or ABE ​
  • Taking trade or vocational classes 
  • Participating in an approved counseling or treatment program 

2. Have a qualifying income. Families must earn less than 185% of the federal poverty level. ​

  • Family of 2: $2,686 monthly, $32,232 annually 
  • Family of 3: $3,386 monthly, $40,632 annually ​
  • Family of 4: $4,085 monthly, $49,020 annually
  • Visit and review the Child Development and Care Handbook for income eligibility for larger households.​

Childcare Eligibility Expansion Handout

How do I apply?

Review the Client Application Process and the steps to apply for Child Development and Care assistance​. Apply at

en English