Great Start to Quality measures the quality of early childhood programs and providers in Michigan by using more than 40 program quality indicators aligned with Michigan’s Early Childhood Standards of Quality for Infant and Toddler Programs and Early Childhood Standards of Quality for Prekindergarten. The program quality indicators are standards used to measure the quality of a program in a specific area. Each program quality indicator falls into one of five categories.
The five categories used to measure quality include:
- Staff Qualifications and Professional Development – The training and any education or degrees completed by providers and their staff.
- Family and Community Partnerships – How programs offer support, and interact with, the families they serve and within the community.
- Administration and Management – How a program’s policies guide the way they run their program.
- Environment – The safety of a program and how they support the health and wellness of the children.
- Curriculum and Instruction – The tools a program uses to teach, accommodate needs and track development of the children in their care.
These categories, and their corresponding program quality indicators, are how programs and providers are rated when they complete their Self-Assessment Survey. Each star rating achieved by a program demonstrates a different level of quality.
All licensed and registered programs and providers in Michigan have a program profile on Great Start to Quality, where they appear as an Empty Star. If they choose to participate in the Great Start to Quality rating process, they will be rated on a scale of one- to five-stars.
The star ratings are:
Program meets licensing requirements.
Program meets licensing requirements and is participating in Great Start to Quality.
Program demonstrates quality across some categories of program quality indicators.
Program demonstrates quality across several categories of program quality indicators.
Program demonstrates quality across almost all categories of program quality indicators.
Program demonstrates highest quality.
The goal of Great Start to Quality is to make sure every young child in Michigan has a high-quality learning experience, while helping families find the best care for their child.